Improve Your Quality of Life
Palliative care is specialized medical care for people living with a serious illness. This type of care is focused on relief from the symptoms and stress of a serious illness. The goal is to improve quality of life for both the patient and the family. It is appropriate for any age at any stage of illness and can be provided along with curative treatment.
Palliative Care promotes quality of life by addressing the physical, emotional, cultural, spiritual and social needs of the patient and their families.
Sakakawea Palliative Care Program can assist with:
- Support and education on illness, medications and treatments
- Symptom management to include pain, shortness of breath, nausea or vomiting, constipation, fatigue, insomnia, depression and anxiety
- Navigation through the progression of illness
- Home safety and supportive devices
- Advanced care planning
- Funeral planning
- Spiritual support
Is Palliative Care right for me?
Do you or a loved one live with a serious illness in which you could use some help with symptom management? If you struggle with any of the following symptoms you may be interested in Palliative Care:
- Uncontrolled symptoms such as anxiety, fatigue, shortness of breath, nausea and vomiting
- Frequent trips to the Emergency Department and or hospitalizations
- Desire assistance with completing Advance Directives
- Frustrations or need for education related to your serious illness
Palliative care is provided by a specially trained team of doctors, nurses and other specialists who work together with a patient’s other doctors to provide an extra layer of support. Palliative care teams specialize in treating people suffering from the symptoms and stress of serious illnesses such as cancer, congestive heart failure (CHF), chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), kidney disease, Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) and many more.
The team will help you gain the strength to carry on with daily life. In short, palliative care will help improve your quality of life.